Alan Mandel Butler and the creative team behind the campaign to save the Whiteladies Picture House are joining us at the cream tea to launch the Curzon Memories App today and will film the event and interview manager Gareth Negus about the importance of cinema heritage for their blog.
Here’s a short film that used The Whiteladies Picture House as a location in 2000 just before it closed down. The film is a documentary about the murder of Odeon manager Parrington Jackson in 1946, who was shot at the precise moment that gun shots went off in the evening screening of the Light that Failed. The Picture House was used in the reconstruction of the murder. The case still remains unsolved.
You can see what good nick the interior of the building was in at this point. The reconstruction was shot in Cinema 1, which was originally the balcony. Heartbreaking to think that the Whiteladies was a fully operational cinema prior to its closure in 2001, compared to the state that it’s in now.
Follow @wlpicturehouse on Twitter for updates and more info about how to get involved with saving the Picture House.